Long-distance relationships can often be difficult. Being apart isn’t easy, even though the Internet, Skype and texting has enable people that live apart more ways to interact other than the phone when they are apart.
But you still need to put in the work to keep the fires burning and keep a long-distance relationship alive. Here’s some help.
1. It’s not necessary to rush it, but it can’t hurt to start talking about the future. Depending on how long you have been dating, it can be a boost to talk about how you are going to eventually be together.
2. Establish ground rules. Be respectful of time differences and work schedules. You should be able to call him or her at any time, but don’t push the envelope and become a pest. Set rules – no calls after 10 p.m., unless it’s an emergency, for example. At the same time, you have to stay on point – keep the schedule that you agree on. You don’t your mate panicking because he or she has not heard from you for a time that is longer than usual. On the other hand, it can be exciting to have to wait until a set time to be able to reach out. Anticipation can be sexy.
3. Use your imagination. Send little notes or gifts through the mail. Send packages from home full of things that might remind your long-distance love of something that will make him or her remember a good time you had together.
4. Don’t have big expectations for the time that you spend when you do see each other. It’s fun to do things, but it’s also important to spend quiet time together also.
5. Treat the situation like a relationship through today’s technology. The advances in technology make is possible for you two to watch a movie at the same time, play video games together and even be a little naughty.
Make sure that you align yourself a person that you can trust. Just like if you were in the same city, take time to get to know him or her and develop a bond.